Having your windows replaced can dramatically improve the look of your home. They can make your home appear up-to-date and visually more attractive all year round.
Replacement windows are an important investment to the aesthetic landscaping and functionality of a home. Not only do they improve the exterior look of a home, but they also lower energy costs and improve your home’s curb appeal.
The biggest factor in the determining the quality of the replacement windows is the reputation of the company selling them. Purchasing from a knowledgeable company makes all the difference in getting the right windows for your house. There are many factors that should be considered in choosing a window company including customer service (both at purchase and long-term), installation, and warranty.
Here are some important tips for selecting a top-rated window company:
Judge Product Quality
Quality replacement windows can last for up to thirty years or more, while lower-quality windows last only five to ten years or less. The biggest distinction between good and poor quality is the quality of materials used in making the windows.
- Look for both the place of origin where the parts are manufactured as well as the types of materials used in the manufacturing process.
- Look for manufacturers with outstanding reputations.
- Look at the overall construction, quality, and environmental condition of the product.
- Look for the U-factor: How thermally efficient the window is plays a big part in the overall quality of a window.
Certifications and Endorsements
- An important tool in determining which company to choose from is to look for engineering certifications and endorsements; this means that each component was independently tested to meet high-quality industry
- Look for certified contractors who also must meet strict standards and are subject to random inspections.
- A certified installer should be present on every job.
All certifications or endorsements should be noted with the product information.
Browse the Selection
There are 5 types of replacement windows you can consider. They are:
- Aluminum – This is your least expensive option. Aluminum requires nearly no maintenance and is very light and strong. They do the job, however, they provide very little insulating value and are not very attractive.
- Composite – Composite frames are usually made of a combination of aluminum and wood or vinyl and wood. They are more expensive than aluminum and vinyl windows.
- Fiberglass – Perhaps the most durable window frame option, fiberglass is stronger and more insulating than vinyl, and the material resists fading and cracking for much longer than composite and wood windows. However, it is also more expensive than both aluminum and vinyl windows.
- Wood – Wooden window frames are popular because of their superior style. They are traditional, and they both look and feel beautiful. However, they are considerably more expensive than the other types of windows and require the most maintenance to prevent rot and deterioration.
- Vinyl – Vinyl window frames are one of the most popular choices due to their overall affordability and the lack of maintenance required to keep them looking beautiful. They provide good insulating values, they don’t rot, and are UV-resistant.
Here at Dayside, we manufacture vinyl windows. We feel that this is the best value for your money—it is an economical option with functionality, durability, and beauty built right in!
Customer Service is Number One
A seamless installation process begins with quality planning. A good window company will guide the buyer through the entire process of choosing their windows—from the look and style they want, to glass type, right down to the hardware—so the customer knows exactly what they are getting.
Pre-sale planning should include a review of the entire installation process and day-of preparation so that the actual installation is clear and painless. A reputable window company should also be able to provide repairs and parts if the window is ever damaged.
The Company’s History
The manufacturer is not always the same as the retailer or installation company. The manufacturer is key to long-term replacement parts, service, and warranties. The longer the manufacturer has been in business, the more likely that it will provide support over the lifetime of the replacement window. Dayside Windows and Doors has been in business for 60 years—you can trust that we will be able to provide you with any pre- or after-installation support that you may need.
References & Referrals
Repeat business and referrals are big indicators of both service and product quality. Ask for a list of past customers and/or their referral list and check them out. You can also look for customer reviews on websites like HomeStars, where you can search by a specific business name or search for a list of reputable window companies in your area. Reviews from previous customers will be a good indication of what you can expect from the company you choose.
Do Your Homework
The main issue in selecting a professional replacement window company is top quality and customer service. Their standards will show in the kinds of materials used, the certifications they have to back them up, and the selection they offer. Service shows in the company’s reputation, repeat business and planning.
Looking for a quality window manufacturer and installer? Look no further than Dayside Windows and Doors. We have 60 years in the business and a reputation to back that up. Call us for your free quote today!